Monday, December 05, 2005

To buy or not to buy?

New toys are always so tempting, but more often than not, in my case anyway, they quickly pale after purchase and sit on the shelf gathering dust (I think in many cases i actually enjoy the pre purchase research more than the actual device). There are exceptions to this rule. I'm currently writing these thoughts on my Sony Erricson P910i mobile phone, purchased some 6 months ago on Trademe for about half the current retail price. Before i brought it, i didn't think i would really make much use of the pda functions, but slowly i have come to find it indispensable. I think this is due to the constant presence of the device however and i have my doubts that i would have started to use a dedicated PDA in the same fashion (although i'm still tempted to buy one, for nothing other than the cool-toy factor).

But so many new devices and gadgets do not end up as indispensable, many seem to lose their novelty value swiftly either because they are more complicated/less usefull than they originally appeared or because they really do have no practical purpose in line with your life. The commercial giants make great profits of this enthusiasm of men for new toys, just as the cosmetics and weight loss industries survive on the basis of womens insecurities about their looks, so the technology industry appears to be thriving on mens need to explore and play with new toys they don't need.

1 comment:

Alan Howard said...

Hey, if you get a new PDA, let me know... I'd be interested in using your old one. :-)